Florida Power & Light Company was created on Dec. 28, 1925. In the beginning, FPL owned power plants, water facilities, gas plants, ice companies, laundry services and even an ice cream business.
In its first year, the company served approximately 76,000 customers in 58 communities, and had a generating capacity of 70 megawatts.
The company bought 20 acres of land to develop a demonstration farm to convince potential residents that the marshy soil could be transformed into profitable farmland. The flourishing property included livestock and 150 varieties of plants.
The Okeechobee Hurricane of 1928 hit South Florida, killing 2,000 people. FPL converted one of its warehouses into a first-aid station to help those in need.